Paint with Ice
15 minutes (plus time to freeze ice)
Embrace the cold with chilly ice paint! You and your friend will love to swirl the melting paint over paper, creating beautiful designs.
Supplies you will need:
- Liquid tempera paint
- Ice cube tray
- Craft sticks
- Plastic wrap (optional)
- First, help your friend pour the paint into the ice cube tray. Let them decide how many cubes of each color they’d like to make.
- Once the tray is filled, put a craft stick into the middle of each paint cube. The sticks should be able to stand up on their own, but if they don’t cover the tray in plastic wrap and poke the sticks through the wrap for extra stability.
- Carefully place the ice cube tray in the freezer, and let it sit until the paint is frozen solid
- When the paint cubes are frozen, it’s time to paint! Let your friend choose a color, and help them pop the chosen paint cube out of the tray.
- Your friend can hold the craft stick and swirl the frozen paint cube over paper. As it melts, it’ll leave a lovely trail of paint. Encourage them to use several different cubes to create a masterpiece.
Bonus: As you both paint, discuss the process of freezing. What happened to the paint when it’s in the freezer? What’s happening to the paint when it’s exposed to the warm air and paper? What does the paint feel like as it melts?