Homemade Ice Cream
This is just about one of the most awesome summer activities you’ll find! Cool off with delicious ice cream that’s a blast to make.
Supplies you will need
- Ice cubes (Enough to fill a gallon-size bag about half full)
- 1 cup half and half or light cream
- ½ cup salt (Bigger granules is better so kosher or rock salt are best, but table salt is fine too.)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint size zip-top bag
- 1 gallon size zip-top bag
- Your favorite mix-ins such as chocolate chips, cereal pieces, or fresh fruit.
- First, mix the sugar, half & half and vanilla extract together. Pour into pint-sized zip-top bag. Make sure it seals tightly.
- Now, take the gallon-sized zip-top bag and fill it up halfway with ice and pour the salt over the ice. Place the cream filled bag into the ice filled bag and seal.
- Make sure the ice bag is sealed tightly and start shaking. Shake for about 5 minutes (or 8 minutes if you use heavy cream.) Toss the bag back and forth with your friend and take turns shaking. If the bag is too cold for your friend dig out some winter gloves.
- Open the gallon-sized bag and check to see if the ice cream is hard, if not keep shaking. Once the ice cream is ready, briefly run the closed pint-sized bag under cold water to clean the salt off the bag. Now open the bag and pour in your favorite toppings. Split it into bowls, pop in some spoons and enjoy your delicious treat!